Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Open Farmer's Market in Centro



Today (May 8, 2009) was market day in my neighborhood in Montevideo. Actually two days are market day in my neighborhood--Tuesday and Friday. Of course any day is market day if I want to go to the grocery store.

I don´t.

For those of you who ask about prices, today I bought the following. I paid pesos but will change value to dollars for comparison purposes. All of the following are fresh.











Pears 50 cents per pound
Oranges 50 cents per pound
Red delicious apples 60 cents per pound
Leaf lettuce 25 cents per pound
Spinach 25 cents per pound
Tomatoes 25 cents per pound
Tangerines 40 cents per pound
Kale 40 cents per pound

June 21, 2009

I have returned to Florida, U.S.A., for a few weeks. It is always wonderful to return to my home country. In addition, with the reversed seasons, winter had seriously set in in Montevideo--as seriously as it ever sets in. Wintering in Montevideo is similar to wintering in Central Florida.

After the cold, sometimes windy streets of Montevideo, the Florida heat and sunshine that many complain about was for me a welcome change. I have been back for two weeks and I am still soaking it up.

However, a few visits to the local grocery stores and I already miss the market in Montevideo with its lush, juicy and inexpensive tree-ripened fruit.

I suspect that since we are getting so much of our food now from outside the United States, it is picked green to allow for shipping time. Much of the fruit appears to be ripe and does in fact soften to what we would consider edible ripeness. But it is relatively tasteless compared to the locally grown produce that is available to us in Uruguay. I think that, if people in Florida are smart, they will plant fruit trees in their front yards instead of ornamentals. Why not plant something that produces something of value?

An organic vegetable garden in the back yard would also be a great idea!

©Arlean Kelley 05/08/2009 All rights reserved

We always appreciate your feedback. Please post your comments if our information has been helpful or if you have corrections or further information. Article contributions of others living in Latin America are encouraged, subject of course to editing. If you would like to subscribe to this blog, just send an email to newsfromlatinamerica@yahoo.com and we will add you to our mailing list. Likewise if you want to be removed from the list. We look forward to meeting you in person--in Latin America!









No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search